Before you apply, please read the following information:
- You need to have access to the internet.
- You need to have an active email address to which we will send an acknowledgement of receipt of your application. Other communication will also be sent to this email address.
- You need to have an active cell phone number on which you are reachable.
- Open or download an application at the bottom of this page.
General application information
- SAADP applications open on 02 January of the year preceding the year of study.
- Applications are open to South African Matric learners applying for 1st year of study at any partner university (currently Wits, UCT or UP). Any application to non-partner university will be automatically rejected.
- Applications are also open to current Actuarial Students from historically disadvantaged backgrounds, who have achieved good academic results in their first, second, or third year of their studies.
- Current Actuarial Science students must be studying at Wits, UCT, or UP. Students from non-partner universities are welcome to apply, however they must have applied and been accepted to study at any of the partner universities.
- Applications are open to current Actuarial Science students who are South African natives. Non-South Africans are unfortunately ineligible to apply.
- Applicants may only submit an application once.
- To complete an application, applicants may need an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. To download an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, click here.
- Applicants are welcome to download an application and fill it in by hand, scan it and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with relevant supporting documents.
- Supporting documents that may not be available at the time of applying may be sent to the same email address whenever they become available even after the closing date.
- All shortlisted applications will be subjected to a stringent selection process, including interviews.
- Applying for the bursary before the closing date is the applicant’s responsibility.
- Applying to university before the closing date is the applicants’ responsibility.
- Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.
About the bursary
- The award of bursaries is highly dependent on the availability of funds.
- SAADP reserves the right not to award bursaries.
- To apply, Matric learners must be doing well in Mathematics, English and Physical Science, achieving at least 80% in these subjects.
- Matric learners from the Commercial stream are eligible to apply, however, they must apply to study Actuarial Science at the University of Cape Town. Presently, UCT considers learners without Physical Science.
- Applying to university before the closing date is the learners’ responsibility.
- The SAADP bursary is renewable each year pending good academic performance.
What will happen after submitting an application?
SAADP will send an email acknowledging receipt of an application and all applications will go through the following stages:
Applications will be screened to check if they meet the following basic requirements:
- Whether the application was submitted before or on the closing date (31 August).
- Whether the application has been completed in full.
- Whether you have attached a Grade 11 final report and Grade 12 June report (for Matric students only). Please note that where Grade 12 June exams have not been written, the first term test and trial exams results are required.
- Whether you have attached your recent academic transcript (for current Actuarial Science learners only)
- Whether you have attached a recently certified ID copy or Birth Certificate.
- Whether your application meets the academic requirements for the university you intend to attend (for Matric learners only).
- Applications that meet basic requirements will be forwarded to the Selection Committee.
- The Selection Committee will screen applications further (NB: SAADP is not part of this process).
- Approved applications will be shortlisted and the shortlist will be sent to the SAADP office for further processing.
- Unsuccessful applicants will receive communication (SMS and/or email) that their applications have been unsuccessful.
- SAADP will wait for the final exam results. It is your responsibility to send your final results to SAADP at email@example.com
- Applicants that get to stage 3 will not receive any communication from SAADP until their final results are received by SAADP.
- Applications that don’t qualify to move to Stage 4 will be notified of the outcome.
- Approved applicants from the Matric class will be invited to attend a selection interview. Please note that due to the Covid-19 regulations, selection interviews are conducted virtually.
- Approved university applicants will receive communication from SAADP advising them of the Selection Committee’s decision.
- Selection interviews (for Matric applicants) are conducted by the Selection Committee (SAADP is not part of this interview process).
- Successful interviewees will be notified of the outcome.
- The decision by the Selection Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Open or download the application form below. Submit before the closing date.